Two Auditions & Frostbitten Toes

I had a busy day of auditions and got back a few hours ago, only to wrap myself up in the warmth of my bed covers. Audition number one was at 2PM, for the popular webseries, "BlackBookBerry." I left really early since they were predicting snow (I believe flakes are still falling right now) and got there about 40 minutes before my audition. Since I had the time, I did tongue and mouth exercises in the car and sang along with Wakko, listing off the states and their capitals in order to loosen up and enunciate better.

I always sing along with the "Animaniacs" before an audition because the "State Capitals," "The Presidents," "The Senses," and the "Cartoon Individual" songs are fantastic to warm up with. I still need to work on memorizing all of the nations of the world but I have a good many of them committed to memory so I can keep up with Yakko somewhat. I have done my tongue exercises while driving down the highway before but I try not to do them in line at a stop light; people tend to stare at you when your stretching your tongue past your chin, a la Gene Simmons. If only you didn't have the window glass separating you or else you could use the excuse that most of us utilize, "It's okay, I'm an actor!"

 "It's okay! I'm a limo driver!"
~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, so I arrived at my audition earlier, did my warm ups, gathered together my headshots/resumes and my purse and went inside. It was eerily silent and empty looking but papers were posted to various walls saying "BlackBookBerry Audition" and then an arrow indicating that I was in the right place and to keep going. Looking back it was like Dorothy walking down the hall on her way to see the Great and Powerful Oz but this time unaccompanied by her posse of misfits. The first hall was drab white coupled with a gray concrete floor and it led to an old looking stairwell. Well, the papers said to keep going so I did though I must admit that I was on my guard just in case. It was a legit series that I was auditioning for since I knew some friends who had worked on the project before and vouched for the cast/crew. Plus, I have watched episodes of the show on Youtube. Still, a girl can never be TOO careful and I approached the door at the top of the stairs with some care.

Once I opened the door, I really started wondering because the lights were off in the hall but further down I could see the rest was illuminated. So, I slowly walked toward the light, listening intently. (I don't mean to make it sound overly dramatic or anything but I read about murderers and serial killers all the time out of morbid curiosity and like to think I have learned from the mistakes those other girls made and as I said before, a girl can never be TOO careful). At the end of the hall I saw another paper advertising the audition and asking prospects to wait in the adjacent room. I could hear both male and female voices in the room where the auditions were being held so I felt instantly relaxed and plunked my stuff down in the room that the paper alluded to. A man was in the bathroom, cleaning, and he came out and saw me and went in to tell the others I was there.

Some people came out to greet me (I was the only "prospect" at the time so the "green room" was empty aside from myself) and they said the people from Post Dispatch were there, interviewing them about the series. I was still incredibly early so I just chilled in the room and did some stretches to limber and loosen the rest of me. While I was doing a particular leg stretch, close to the ground, I looked over and noticed a squished cockroach and quickly looked to see if there were any live ones around. A couple friends who were working on the project, came out to say hi, talk and hand me my side to cold read for the audition. Then, before I knew it, I was told to come on in.

There were about 5 people there who were watching the auditions, in a semi circle, a human-made apron of this cozy stage. One girl was filming while the director sat in front of me, a laptop computer resting on the table in front of him. The screen was facing me which I thought was weird but didn't really question it. 2 others were on the right of me (I didn't count them in the 5 because they were both from the Post and kept snapping pictures as I was auditioning). Everyone was very welcoming and friendly, introducing themselves before beginning the audition and asking me about myself. Before we began, the director at the head of the table asked if someone could see me. "Yeah, I can," came a man's voice from the laptop. So, I kept referring to him as "Voice" or "Computer" all through the audition.

The audition went like this - 1 min. comedic monologue, 4 or 5 cold reads (scenes from Arrested Development and The Guild) and then a short improv. I haven't done improv in about a year or more so I feel really rusty about it but I think the cold reads went well. I think I could have done better at my monologue (and did during my second audition where I used the same one). I feel that even if I don't get cast, it was not only important for me to get more experience at auditioning for film but also to meet new people. I feel I met some great people today.

So while I'm there, it started snowing..and it kept getting heavier as I was waiting to be seen. So, when I left, people were driving somewhat bad and slush was piling up in the streets. Thankfully, my second audition for the "Now Talent" modeling/acting agency was at 5:15 because I needed to get from downtown St. Louis to Historic St. Charles with the weather behaving the way it was.

I got there with plenty of time to spare, even stopping in a few shops on Main Street before heading over. I was about an hour early but they must have had some cancellations or no-shows because I got in almost after I signed in. I had a make-shift model portfolio, 2 headshots/resumes and my monologue in my head, all ready to go. They also had me pick up a couple commercial cold reads and I groaned inside because commercials are a weakness of mine. I hate cheesiness and can't seem to get myself excited over Revlon nail color or roach bombs. A 6th grade girl went in before me and had the cheerful, if not somewhat brainless, ability to deliver her commercial sides with cloying sweetness.

So, I went in and the two women behind the table were young, pretty, and incredibly nice and welcoming. (Nothing kills the audition mood like a mean, unfriendly director). I whipped out my excuse for a modeling portfolio, my headshots/resumes and all that jazz and they took a look at the photos. I dumped the rest of my things on the sidelines and then they asked if I had a monologue. Of course, I have numerous ones in my head for any given audition but I went with my ol' faithful for right now (a monologue that Carla/Rhea Perlman performs in the Cheers television show) and felt much better about it that time around. They women seemed to really like it too because they laughed at parts of it and I could feel myself feeding off of their energy, enthusiasm and interest in what I was saying, while still keeping true to the character/monologue. After that, we chatted briefly while I gathered my things and then headed back out into the snow.

One of the shots that seems to get attention
~~~~~~~~~~

So, now I'm home and, after having sat in front of the space heater slowly regaining the feeling in my frostbitten feet, I'm in bed with "Harpo Speaks!" and finishing off this post. It was a doozy but, what are you gonna do. I'm grateful for the day I've had and, while I hope to be contacted by the "directors" with good news, I'm happy to chalk the day up to experience.

"Goodbye, Elizabeth."

"Goodbye, Computer."

2 comments:

  1. Beth, I love your posts...although I've never auditioned for an acting gig, you make me feel as if I were right there with you. If you ever decide to give up acting, you should consider a writing career. My fingers are crossed for today's auditions, though. And maybe you'll make the front page of the Post-dispatch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth,
    Your dynamic personality shines through your writing. Act up! Write it down! You have an abundance of talent.

    ReplyDelete